Active travel provider Backroads has forecast for top travel destinations in 2022 based on advance bookings and inquiries. Europe is at the top of many travelers’ list, with huge demand for trips in Italy, France, Spain, Portugal, Croatia, Greece and Iceland.
Many newcomers to active travel are booking adventures already, especially easygoing Dolce Tempo tours, and e-bikes are continuing to become more popular with guests of all ages. Backroads is anticipating that most of their North American trips will sell out once again, in line with the 2021 trend of strong interest in US National Parks and luxurious domestic adventures.
Based on advance guest booking and inquiries, Backroads is anticipating the following trends for 2022:
- More than 30% of guests on multi-adventure and biking trips will opt for e-bikes, which are custom-built for Backroads and included in the trip price.
- Europe will continue to see pent-up demand manifesting in sky-high bookings, with all the European countries that opened early and were popular in 2021 seeing strong traveler interest. Top-selling countries include Italy, France, Spain, Portugal, Croatia, Greece and Iceland.
- North America, which had its biggest year ever in 2021, will continue to be popular with travelers looking to stick close to home.
- US National Park trips will again completely sell out.
- Demand for travel in all parts of Canada from Banff to Newfoundland is skyrocketing.
- Family travel is up across all family segments: Teens & Kids, Older Teens & 20s and 20s & Beyond.
- Bookings for easygoing Dolce Tempo adventures will maintain their threefold increase compared to 2021, as travelers of all fitness levels look to spend active time outdoors.
- Active River Cruises will book up quickly with Bordeaux, Danube and Portugal’s Douro leading the way.
- Working in active, outdoor travel continues to appeal, with more than 450 Backroads Trip Leaders and Field Staff returning next season for a 90% retention rate. The company expects to hire close to another 350 additional Trip Leaders from 6,000 applicants for jobs in 2022.