The Lufthansa Group is extending its Green Fares to long-haul flights. Initially, the fare will be tested on 12 selected flight routes. The selection includes connections between Lufthansa Group hubs and various destinations around the world..

In February 2023, the Lufthansa Group successfully introduced Green Fares for routes within Europe and to North Africa, and increasingly, more customers are booking the offer. Since the launch, more than half a million passengers have already opted for a Green Fares flight.

The fare includes full offsetting of individual, flight-related CO2 emissions with just one click through the use of Sustainable Aviation Fuel (SAF) and a contribution to high-quality climate protection projects. With SAF, a reduction of 10 percent of CO2 emissions is achieved, while the remaining 90 percent is offset through climate protection projects. The Lufthansa Group ensures that the amount of SAF required for offsetting is fed into the airport infrastructure within six months of purchase.  Tagged as a “drop-in” fuel, SAF is mixed with fossil fuel before being transported to the airport. There is no refueling of individual flights with SAF. The Lufthansa Group’s compensation portfolio is constantly being further developed and now comprises 15 projects, including, most recently, technology-based projects for the long-term binding of CO2. In this way, the Lufthansa Group wants to promote the development of the CO2 compensation market towards new technologies and offers. The providers are myclimate, Climate Austria, SQUAKE and ClimatePartner. All projects in the Lufthansa Group climate project portfolio are certified according to the highest available standards.

Twelve selected test routes:

  • Zurich – Los Angeles (ZRH – LAX) 
  • Frankfurt – Miami (FRA – MIA) 
  • Sao Paulo – Zurich (GRU – ZRH) 
  • Frankfurt – Bengaluru (FRA – BLR) 
  • Munich- Seoul (MUC – ICN) 
  • Brussels – Kinshasa (BRU – FIH) 
  • Singapore – London (SIN – LHR/LCY) 
  • Nairobi – Frankfurt (NBO – FRA) 
  • Bangkok – Vienna (BKK – VIE) 
  • Hong Kong – London (HKG – LHR/LCY) 
  • London – Hong Kong (LHR/LCY – HKG) 
  • Paris – Bangkok (CDG/ORY – BKK)