Veterans, current military, and Gold Star Family members can also receive a free Military Pass to national parks and other federal recreation areas
The National Park Service (NPS) will host a variety of special events and provide free entrance to everyone on Saturday, Nov. 11 to commemorate Veterans Day. On Veterans Day, and throughout the year, U.S. military veterans and Gold Star Family members can obtain a free, lifetime entrance pass to all of the country’s national parks. Current military members and their dependents are eligible for a free annual pass.
“National parks are the living memory of our nation, the conscience of America, and many of them have direct relevance to the U.S. military and the sacrifices of those who served,” said National Park Service Director Chuck Sams. “Visits to national parks while I was a young sailor in the Navy were incredibly meaningful and formative. Seeing treasured natural and cultural landmarks firsthand connected me to our country’s shared history and provided inspiration to serve and defend.”
There are more than 100 national parks with strong ties to the U.S. military, including battlefields that recall bravery, monuments that stir patriotism, memorials that remember sacrifice, terrain that provided training grounds, and scenic areas that were set aside for relaxation and recreation. Many of them will hold special events on Veterans Day, including:
- Tour a WWII Military Bunker and Searchlight Shelter at Cabrillo National Monument.
- Living History Day with 18th century American Militia and Weapons Firing Demonstrations at Cowpens National Battlefield.
- Free Guided House Tours at Eisenhower National Historic Site.
- Free Lighthouse Tours for Veterans at Fire Island National Seashore.
- “War’s Over!”: Armistice Day and the Origins of Veterans Day at Fort McHenry National Monument and Shrine.
- Military Living History Timeline and Demonstrations at Fort Necessity National Battlefield.
- Veterans Day Living History Event at Fort Pulaski National Monument.
- Artillery Demonstrations at Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park.
- Poplar Grove National Cemetery Luminary at Petersburg National Battlefield.
- Free Bus Tours for Veterans of Shiloh National Military Park.