BY EILEEN OGINTZ
Huge outdoor sculptures. Giant water playgrounds. Sports tournaments.
There’s a lot more to Orlando than theme parks—and a lot of ways to stretch your vacation dollar while having plenty of fun, especially in September, the cheapest month of the year to visit with deals up to half off.
And I want to share my top ways to have fun outside the theme parks this September:
- Make it a museum morning. The Menello Museum of American Art with its terrific outdoor sculpture garden is just $5; kids six and under are free and those up to 18 visit for a dollar. The Orlando Museum of Art, has daily free gallery activities with $8 adult admission; $5 for kids 4-17.
- Take in a show. Cirque de Soleil NouBa at Downtown Disney has $49 tickets available in September; The Blue Man Group at Universal Orlando Resort has tickets starting at $60, $30 for kids and less for Florida residents. It doesn’t cost anything to walk around Downtown Disney Area or Universal Orlando’s CityWalk.
- Relax poolside. Orlando hotels are famous for their pool complexes and you want to make sure to have time to enjoy them. Order a pizza and eat dinner watching the kids play.
- Join the fans at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex at Walt Disney Resort—everything from baseball to gymnastics, cheer and dance, lacrosse and soccer are played here.
- Try a new restaurant. September is Magical Dining Month with three-course dinners for just $33 all over town.
- Play Mini golf. There are lots of courses to choose from, many offering discounts.
What’s your first pick?